dogwood - Knowledgebase Question

carmel, Ne
Question by cadele429
i purchased 3 white cornus florida in spring. each has slowly died one after the other (leaves curled and blackened) can you possibly tell me what went wrong with my dogwoods?

0

Dogwoods are susceptible to various fungal diseases and these are worse during wet springs than during dry springs. I can't tell without looking at your dogwoods but your description leads me to believe they were infected with Ascochyta blight, caused by Ascochyta cornicola. It usually appears in June after a wet spring. The disease is characterized by round to irregular spots that have a gray-to-tan center and a dark border. If several of these spots develop on a leaf, the entire leaf may suddenly collapse, shrivel and turn black. Fungicides, especially systemic fungicides, will help prevent these fungal diseases if you decide to replace your dogwoods.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"