Is my hydrangea sick? - Knowledgebase Question

Massapequa Park, Ne
Question by ndpettit46
I have 2 hydrangeas, abt. 4 ft. apart. They face south and since my neighbors cut all the trees down, they are getting more sun than usual. It's been scortching hot here in the Northeast (coastal) and I noticed my westernmost southfacing hydrangea has blooms that are fading in color. Also, neither plant has large blooms. Leaves are med to lime green,mulched withcompst.manureAnything I can do?

0

I think your hydrangeas are reacting to the change in exposure now that their shade is gone. Healthy plants will adjust, although it might take them until next season to fully adjust. I'm sure the flowers are fading prematurely because of the hot weather and the sizes of the flowers can also change with the increased amount of sunshine. Since the shade is gone you'll just have to allow your hydrangeas some time to recoup and get used to the changes. There's really nothing you can do to help them along. Best wishes with your plants.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"