hydrangea failing - Knowledgebase Question

mclean, Vi
Question by virginiana
I planted two hydrangea bought from H.D. in this 100 deg heat wave. how do I make sure they don't fail. they are drooping and water doesn't revitalize.

0

Your new plants are reacting to the heat, the sun and to being transplanted. It's normal for them to go through a little stress when they are first planted. When the roots establish, they will perk up. Hydrangeas can also wilt in hot summer sunshine but they usually recover overnight and look fine in the morning. The wilting is just the hydrangeas way of conserving moisture. Giving them more water isn't a good idea. They shut down their metabolism and when you flood the soil with water the plants can't use it - and if the soil remains too wet and displaces oxygen, the roots can suffocate. So, here's what to do - water deeply every 3-4 days, try to provide some temporary shade from the hot afternoon sunshine, and give your plants 3-4 weeks to establish themselves. Once they do they will perk up and you can remove the temporary shade. I'm sure your plants will be just fine.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"