WHY IS MY NEWLY PLANTED BUTTERFLY PLANT DYING? - Knowledgebase Question

Oklahoma City, Ok
Question by annaeischen
DEAR SIR,

ONE MONTH AGO, I PLANTED A BUTTERFLY PLANT IN THE FRONT YARD LANDSCAPING AREA THAT FACES NORTH. I HAVE WATERED THIS PLANT FAITHFULLY DAILY SINCE LAST SATURDAY WHERE IT HAS RAINED DAILY THEREAFTER. TODAY, I NOTICED THAT THE PLANT IS DYING. DO YOU THINK THIS IS DUE TO THE RAIN OR OVER WATERING. ALSO, THE BUSH GETS MORNING SUN, BUT IS IN A SHADED AREA THE REST OF THE DAY.
ANNA

0

Overwatering can cause root rot which will rapidly kill a plant. Butterfly bushes are drought tolerant and can get along with a deep soaking every 3-5 days during the summer months. They also like lots of sunshine. So, I think a combination of things are making your plant sick. Try reducing the frequency of watering so the soil can dry out a bit. If the roots are still okay you'll see new growth later in the summer. At that time you can prune your bush back to remove the dead stems and leaves. While butterfly bushes will grow in partially shady areas, they will bloom more if they get all day sunshine. Good luck with your butterfly bush.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"