Hydrangea Won't Bloom - Knowledgebase Question

Ballwin, Mi
Question by jamiepowells
Hi, I submitted this question last week but haven't heard from anyone. I was hoping to save a 5 year old hydrangea that was given to me as get well gift. It was a forced bloom plant. It loves growing outside and gets very large but has never bloomed despite feeding it blooming plant fertilizer. Is the Hydrangea just going to be a bush instead of a flowering plant?
Thanks.

0

I'm sorry for the delay! I remember answering your question so the reply may have ended up in your junk mail folder instead of your inbox. Your florist's hydrangea is probably Hydrangea macrophylla or big leaf hydrangea. Big Leaf hydrangeas bloom on old wood. If your plant consistently freezes down to ground level each year, it may never produce flowers because there will be no old wood on which new flowering stems can develop. You may want to replace it with a type that blooms on both old and new wood. Endless Summer is one such hydrangea and grows wonderfully well in your gardening zone. Hope this information helps and I hope it makes it to your inbox!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"