roses not blooming - Knowledgebase Question

Houston, Te
Question by sajida786
I live in Houston. A few weeks ago I trimmed my rose bushes, as the leaves were turning yellow and falling. A lot of branches and leaves came back, but the roses are very tiny and before thy bloom fully they fall off. Color is also changing. We had a lot of rain lately. Is it due to that or do they need mulch. I fertilise them every 14 days with rose food

0

I think the combination of heat and excessive rain have stressed your roses. They normally bloom all summer but the flowers can be smaller than usual if they are struggling with the heat. You didn't mention how much you pruned your roses. It's important to remove faded roses when the petals begin to fall and it's okay to take some of the stem when you deadhead but if you pruned your roses back by quite a lot, they may be directing their energy into replacing the stems and foliage you removed instead of concentrating on developing flowers. To avoid this in the future, do your major rose pruning in December and in March or April, then do only minimal pruning in the hot summer months. I'm sure your roses will recover but it may take several weeks. Just be patient with them.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"