Frying Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Bronx, Ne
Question by MenyaZovutGa
Hi,I live in NYC. My backyard is mostly concrete & potted plants. During the summer the backyard gets very very hot. I noticed that some of my plants look as if they are frying from the heat. We started putting mulch under the pots and watering it as well, to no avail. The plants are annuals, as well as perennials. I use miracle grow potting soil & add more after 2 months. Please advise

0

Heat stress can affect plants but they usually recover overnight and look fine the next morning. Plants in containers, especially those that receive direct sunshine, can overheat and essentially bake the roots. So the best advice is to group your plants so they can help shade one another and to put some temporary materials like cardboard, large stones, etc. in front of the pots to deflect the direct sunshine. You might even try insulating the pots with bubblewrap or other insulating materials to sheild them from direct sunshine. If this fails you may need to plant heat and drought tolerant annuals such as succulents, rock rose, salvia, lantana, etc. Hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"