get drainage away from house - Knowledgebase Question

Mosinee, Wi
Avatar for me1talley
Question by me1talley
July 9, 2010
I have sandy soil but it is lower around the house. Is it best to build up the soil (how high) around the home and then put a liner down and rocks or mulch over the liner? what tips can you give me?

Answer from NGA
July 9, 2010
I'd be more inclined to install a curtain drain close to the foundation to redirect the water. Curtain drains are quite simple: in essence they are just trenches filled with gravel, with sand on top of that. Start with digging a trench. The depth and width of the trench can vary, but 5 to 6 inches wide and 8 to 12 inches deep are common sizes and usually satisfy most needs. You can use a weed fabric liner in the trench or you can lay a perforated pipe on top of a bed of gravel to collect and redirect the water. Grading is a critical consideration ? you must ensure that enough slope exists for the water to actually flow, and flow in the right direction, away from the house and out into the yard or gutter. Gravel for this use is typically 0.5 to 1 inch in size. On top of the gravel, lay at least 3 or 4 inches of coarse sand. This provides a medium in which turf can grow so that the trench will not be visible. But remember that the sand must be coarse or it won't allow water to properly drain through. Turf may be seeded into the sand or simply allowed to grow in from the adjacent stand, if the turf is a spreading type. Or, you can lay sod over the sand. Best wishes with your project.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe mawii in bloom"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.