Pest! - Knowledgebase Question

Bremerton, Wa
Question by carolynfreun
I have small little..Looks like scouter bees that hover just over my grass and live underground. They are not bees however...what are they and how do I get rid of them?

0

They sound like ground nesting wasps (sometimes called bald faced hornets), in search of water. They are considered beneficial in the garden so simply changing your watering habits may send them elsewhere and you won't need to control them. Try watering late at night or very early in the morning so the turf dries out early in the day. Without moisture to attract them, they will likely move on. If that doesn't work you'll need to scout your property for their nests. They make holes in the earth and build underground nests. You'll see activity in the mornings and late afternoons. If you find the nests, you can invert a clear bowl or mason jar over each of the holes in the ground. Do this at dusk, when all the bees are at home. In the morning they'll try to leave the nest and will become trapped. They aren't smart enough to dig an escape hole, so they'll stay in the ground and eventually starve to death. Remove the jars after a week of inactivity in the nest, and cover the holes up with soil. Ground nesting bees and wasps are beneficial insects in that they help pollinate flowers and prey on other insects - but if their nests are ill-placed and you're concerned about stings, you're probably justified in exterminating them.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"