Crocuses - Knowledgebase Question

Thornwood, Ne
Question by bennie35gray
I love to see the crocuses in the spring and every year plant more of them. However, the chipmunk population has increased very rapidly in past 2 years and crocuses are disappearing very fast. How can I get rid of them and/or keep them from eating my bulbs? Daffodils are starting to disappear too. Thanks!

0

You can protect each and every bulb by planted them in chicken wire cages as they go into the ground (remember that if you plant more bulbs) or by laying chicken wire over the top of the bed to act as a physical barrier to chipmunk digging. The chicken wire can be disguised with a thin layer of organic compost. When the bulbs sprout, the foliage will find its way through the holes in the chicken wire. Wish there were an easier solution but once chipmunks find treasures under the soil they will return again and again.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"