Growing beans - Knowledgebase Question

glenwood, Il
Question by stephcedtoo
I threw some Kentucky green bean seeds in my garden and they have gotten to be a tangled mass of leaves and flowers. Do beans have to be staked and since there are so many, should they be thinned or will they be fine if left alone. Wasn't sure if beans die when they touch the ground like some veggies/fruit.

0

Bean plants should be staked. If not they will scramble over the ground because they are vines. They will still produce edible beans even if they are laying on the ground. The only problem you might encounter is if the beans are making contact with the soil - they will get dirty and might be targets of ground dwelling pests. It doesn't sound as though you can untangle the plant to stake them so how about laying some straw or cardboard beneath the plants to keep muddy soil from splashing up on them?

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"