Ground soil vs pot soil - Knowledgebase Question

Orlando, Fl
Question by cagranada
Hello, I am brand new to gardening, we got soil and I planted a couple of plants in containers, when I noticed that the bag said it is not suitable for pots, what will happen to my plants, should I replant them with a different soil?

0

The major differences between topsoil and potting soil is the inability of topsoil to drain quickly. Ordinarily potting soil is used in containers because if soil does not drain well the plants can develop root rot. Your plants will probably be safe in the containers filled with topsoil for the remainder of the growing season as long as you are careful with your watering. Allow the top of the soil to dry out slightly between waterings but don't let it dry out so much that it begins to pull away from the sides of the container. If it does, it will be hard to rewet. I'd plan on repotting the plants this fall using potting soil or, in the case of annuals, pulling the plants when they have reached the end of their life and then dumping the topsoil into the garden . You can then fill the containers with potting soil and replant something new in the pots. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"