St. Augustin Lawn Care - Knowledgebase Question

Houston, Te
Question by tmaynard54
I placed too much scott ferilizer on my st. augustine lawn and it burned it. What can I do to make it green again?

0

Over application and/or hot temperatures during application without watering the lawn well afterwards can certainly give less than desireable results. I can only suggest you water the lawn - flood it, actually - to remove as much of the fertilizer as possible from the grass blades and move it down to the soil surface. The longer the nitrogen remains on the top of the lawn, and the hotter the weather, the more likelyhood there will be damage. Flood the area and then water it more often that usual to help rinse the nitrogen off the grass blades. Your lawn should start to green up again. No doubt you'll have some bare areas where the roots died and those should be raked and resodded. I think the best way to apply fertilizer is to measure the amount you'll need for the size of your lawn, divide the amount in two and fertilizer north to south with half the fertilizer, then east to west with the second half. This way you'll cover the entire lawn but without the chance to overapply and burn the grass. Hope your lawn recovers soon!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"