Why doesn't Trumpet Vine bloom? - Knowledgebase Question

Potomac, Ma
Question by rlnlpete
My very large Trumpet Vine on fence bloomed beautifully for many, many years. Last three (including this year) it has not. Is there a reason, cause, etc. To my knowlege nothing has changed. Enjoyed it so much. Thank you for any advice you may have.
Nancy

0

Winter damage can cause non-blooming, as can an overdose of fertilizer. Too much nitrogen will result in lots of lush, green growth but at the expense of flowers. Trumpet vine is not very demanding as long as it has lots of sun. I would trim it back hard in early spring (do not trim it dnow uring the growing season as this will remove the new growth or blooming wood.) The trimming should stimulate new growth and consequently more blooms. Good luck with your vine next summer!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"