Tulips & Daffodils - Knowledgebase Question

Nashua, Ne
Question by dlemay24
Why do I have to replant tulips and daffodils every year? The previous year's tulip and daffodil bulbs never rebloom. I have checked the ground to see if the bulbs are dug up by squirrels,etc., but have never found evidence of that. Are the bulbs rotting? Are they being driven further into the soil? I don't keep track of where the bulbs are planted, so I don't know where to look.
Any ideas?

0

Since you're having trouble with both tulips and daffodils, I wonder if you are pruning off the leaves before they have a chance to ripen on their own? The leaves manufacture carbohydrates and transport them back into the bulbs for the next year's floral display. If you cut the leaves off it will interrupt the storage process and the bulbs won't be able to sprout and flower the following year.

Tulips, unfortunately, are rarely reliable perennials. They generally put on a wonderful show the first year, then decline in size and number of flowers with each successive year. Some varieties will perform better in certain locations but, generally, they can't be counted on to flourish year to year. If you really want a reliable spectacular tulip show each year, you'll need to plant fresh bulbs each year.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"