Earthworms - Knowledgebase Question

Monroe, Co
Question by trishd25
My Perennial garden use to be loaded with earthworms until this Spring. Robins were everywhere. Do you think they are all my worms? How do I add them now?

0

I don't think the birds ate all your earthworms. When the weather gets hot, earthworms usually go deep down into the cooler ground and generally won't come near the surface unless the soil gets soggy wet and drives out the oxygen. That's why you'll see them surface after a long soaking rainfall or after you've watered your lawn. They come up for air and if a bird is in the vicinty, it will swoop down for a snack. Earthworms are pretty self-sufficient. They are there and they are multiplying, they just spend most of their time deep in the earth. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"