trumprt vine - Knowledgebase Question

monroe, Ne
Question by richiecarol
i have a 2 yr. old trumpet vine that hasn't bloomed yet. was i suppose to cut back the old growth from last year?? thank you

0

Trumpet vine or Campsis radicans needs full sun all day long and just average soil to grow and bloom. It blooms on new wood, so do not prune it during the summer as this removes flowering wood and/or flower buds. You can rejuvenate the vine and encourage branching and blooming if you trim it back very hard in early spring. This can also help control its size. Since it does well enough with just average fertility, do not fertilize it too often. Excess nitrogen can encourage foliage at the expense of flowering. As with most vines, it takes a year or two to become established and begin to bloom but by year three I would expect some flowers. I hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"