dogwood red cane - Knowledgebase Question

Orange, Ma
Question by palldred
for the last 2 years I've had problems with my dogwood shrub. Last year its leaves turned black and I destroyed them all. This year, after a drought, it's losing leaves.

0

Red twig dogwood is susceptible to several fungal and bacterial diseases and I'm not sure I can diagnose the problem without seeing it. For now, use a fungicide. Banner or Daconil will protect the leaves that are not affected. You can pull or cut off those that are diseased. Next spring prune your red twig dogwood back to encourage healthy new growth and to open the plant up to better air circulation. It will also help if you make an effort to keep water off the leaves when you water. To prune, reach into the plant and remove some of the oldest stems to make room for new stems. The best color is in the newest wood so you won't be losing anything by pruning some of the oldest stems out at ground level. If your shrub develops a problem again next year you may want to try using a systemic fungicide as a soil drench. Bayer Advanced? Disease Control for Roses, Flowers & Shrubs Concentrate is one such product but there are several on the market. A systemic will be transported throughout the tissues of the shrub and should protect it from additional infections. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"