Japanese Boxwood - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by ceswartz
I planted some Japanese boxwood about 1 month ago. I prepped the soil p[roperly and have been giving them 1 gallon h2o every other day. I fertilized with Miracle Gro. Now some of the leaves are turning brown. What can I do?

0

Japanese Boxwood is a popular hedge plant in Phoenix, and this popularity is justified because of its resistance to heat and to alkaline soils. The problem, I think, is that your boxwoods are young and not quite ready for the hot summer sunshine. Since they've only been in the ground for a month and not yet fully established I suspect what you are seeing is heat stress and sunburn. Aside from providing temporary shade, there's not much you can do except wait the hot weather out and prune your boxwoods to remove the summer burn. Wait until October when the weather cools and remove the damage. Healthy new growth will appear and by next summer they will be better established in their growing places and more tolerant of the summer weather.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"