Transplant chilean mesquite - Knowledgebase Question

Cave Creek, Ar
Question by kljranch
I have a chilean mesquite which I need to move because it got planted in the wrong area. It has only been in the ground for 1 year. I need to know when is the best time to move it to a new location and exactly how to move it.

0

Wait until the weather is cool - December or January - then dig and translant your mesquite. If it's only been in the ground one year you can expect to find the root system in about the same area as whn you first planted it: in the top 12-18 inches of soil and radiating out only 2-3 feet. Start your digging about 2' from the trunk and dig straight down until you can find the root system. Then dig all around the tree and lift it up with as much of the root mass intact as possible. Replant at the same soil level it was growing before and water it in well. The roots should establish themselves well before the summer weather arrives. Good luck with the move.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"