Lawn Care - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by dianamichael
I just fertilized my summer lawn with Scott's Turf Builder (liquid spray-on). The grass grew quickly after and looked great (greened up), but after it was mowed, I noticed some brown areas in spots on the grass and was not sure if I over fertilized or perhaps the lawn is getting too much water (3X a day for 12 minutes each time). Could spraying for bugs on the lawn cause it to turn brown as well

0

Any chemical you use on your lawn during the summer months can stress it out because of the hot weather. Even with liquid sprays there will be some oily residue and this is what can cause burning of the grass blades. Lawns need to be watered deeply but infrequently. Watering three times a day for a total of 36 minutes is excessive. You should be able to keep your lawn green by applying about an inch of water per week which translates to 3 waterings per week, about 30 minutes per watering during the summer months. Watering in this way will allow enough water to be applied at one time that it will penetrate down and wet the soil 6-10 inches deep which will encourage deep root growth and better tolerance of summer weather. Mowing frequently enough to remove only one third of the length of the grass blade is also important. If you mow less often you'll take off more of the leaf blade and expose the rest of the turf to the sun. This can cause burning of the stems which can show up as scalped or brown areas. Try mowing higher and a little more frequently and try adjusting your watering schedule. Here's a nifty website that will help you figure out just how much and how often to water: http://ag.arizona.edu/azmet/ph...
Hope you find it helpful.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"