2 tree questions - Knowledgebase Question

durham, No
Question by jkurczak
My dogwood, planted last fall is really looking bad-it flowered okay it's first spring, but now-bottom branches breaking off, leaves furled and with holes.
2) ___valcova tree-2 yrs old. 1/4 of branches dead, the rest fully bloomed w/healthy leaves. should I prune off that whole section in the fall. will it eventually even out again?

0

It's really hard to diagnose the problem with your dogwood without seeing the leaves. Curling leaves often indicate insect feeding. If you find no insects now, it's possible that whatever what feeding (aphids, perhaps) have already left the area. Curling leaves might also indicate a fungal disease. If the leaves developed fungal spots, and the fungus killed the leaf tissue, it can fall out, leaving holes in the leaves. Powdery mildew, which is a white coating on the surface of the leaves can also cause leaf curl. The best way to positively identify the problem is to take a sample of the leaves into your cooperative extension office. Helpful folks there can also suggest remedies or controls. As for your other tree, go ahead and prune off any obviously dead branches. If the tree is healthy it will attempt to replace the lost branches. Good luck with your trees.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"