Transplanting Full grown tomato plants - Knowledgebase Question

48127, Mi
Question by Damon_1023
I am a beginning gardner and I have 6 foot tall tomato plants that I have planted to close to each other and as a result the bottom of the plants aren't getting enough sun. Is it safe to transplant to reduce the crowding if yes how do you recommend I go about doing it?

0

Instead of trying to transplant them, I would pinch and prune them back to keep them at a more manageable size. You can prune off some of the branches without harming your plant. Start with branches that do not have any fruit forming and cut them off where they join the main stem. On branches that are developing fruits, pinch back some of the stem to shorten the branch, and remove anything growing from the stem that is not flowering or developing fruit. Some selective pinching and pruning should result in a smaller but still productive tomato plant. If you try to dig and move your established tomato plant you'll damage or sever some of the roots which can kill the plants. I'd do some pruning rather than trying to dig and move your plants.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"