browning shrubs - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, Il
Question by avn716
Thank you for responding so quickly about my browning shrubs. I do not see any insects. Therefore, should I cut of the browning part? If so how do I accomplish this? (the brown needles only?) The tips are green but the part leading to the tip is brown. Should I increase the watering? My previous neighbor watered his grass and my shubs everyday but I do not.

0

It's normal for some needled evergreens to lose their oldest needles in the center of the plant but this can also be a sign of insects such as spidermites or it might be from water stress (too much or too little). Usually we recommend you prune just the tips of the branches to encourage the production of more stems and needles. Doing this can often disguise the dead centers of the plants. Don't prune off all the green, though, or you'll end up with completely bare branches. Quite often once a needled evergreen branch becomes bare it will not develop new needles. Wish I could positively pinpoint the cause of the browning but without seeing the plant and inspecting the affected areas, it's nearly impossible. I'd water the shrubs deeply once or twice a week and hope new growth appears. Good luck with your shrubs.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"