Slope Plant - Knowledgebase Question

San Diego, Ca
Question by pnelson12
This is my 2nd try for an answer.
I have a steep slope as part of my yard and need plants for it that are colorful, low maintenance, low water use, thrive in poor soil and will flourish in San Diego. I am limited to plants that do not exceed 1 1/2 feet tall. Area is in full sun.

0

I'm sorry for the delay in response to your question. Sometimes things get lost in cyberspace and sometimes our emails are blocked by your email program (look in your junk mail inbox). Whatever the reason, I hope this reply makes it to your inbox!

There are lots of drought tolerant plants for planting on slopes. Since you have a height restriction, you might want to look into dwarf hemerocallis (daylily), Galvezia 'Catalina Island Snapdragon', Muhlenbergia rigens 'Deer Grass', Heuchera spp. (Coral Bells) and Zauschneria (California Fuchsia).

Santa Barbara Daisy Erigeron karvinskianus, is a free-blooming perennial with dainty, white/pink daisy-like flowers to ? inch wide and narrow leaves to 1 inch long, that gracefully trails and slowly spreads to about 3 ft with a height of 10 to 20 inches. It?s not really a winter bloomer as it has already been in bloom all summer long, but the flowers never stop coming. It likes full sun but can tolerate partial shade and is very drought tolerant. It can be a bit invasive but is not overwhelming.

Sundrops and Trailing Buttercups Calylophus drummondii and C. hartwegii are look-alike perennials that grow to 1 to 1 1/2 ft high by 2 ft wide. Although not true winter bloomers, they will, if planted in a sheltered spot, continue their bloom from summer to winter, although a little more sparsely. Both love sun but tolerate dappled shade and are very drought tolerant. Their brightly yellow flowers will cheer up many drab spots in your garden, and their fine textured foliage is an excellent companion to coarser textured succulents.

For even more ideas, you can surf the following California Native Plant database: http://bewaterwise.com/Gardens...

Hope you find just the right plants for your slope!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"