landscape - Knowledgebase Question

trevose, Pe
Question by shawnbacchu
This year started out very rough for my lawn. Early spring i seed and fertilize,and now the drought hit us in Pennsylvania. The grass on my lawn is brown and now one of my trees are loosing its leaves prematurely. I will greatly appreciate any help.

0

Drought can really stress a tree. I hope you can find a way to water it. Landscape trees and shrubs can get by with about an inch of water per week. The best way to water is to make a watering well or basin beneath the tree by mounding up a few inches of soil in a circle, about 12" - 24" away from the trunk (depending upon the size of the tree). Fill the basin with water, allow to drain, then fill it a second time. This concentrates the water over the root mass and allows it to trickle down and wet the entire root system. Once a week is all it should need.

As for your lawn, if you cannot water it twice a week, you may need to just let it go dormant for the remainder of the summer. It should green up in the fall when the rains return. If you can water it, try watering deeply but infrequently. When roots are deep in the soil they become more drought resistant and the grass will be less effected by hot summer weather. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"