cimbidium - Knowledgebase Question

Wisconsin Dells, Wi
Question by lindamaryk
Has done well thru flowering and a bit and now slowly each leaf is browning and the plant is dying back. I dont want to loose it. Dont see any pests.

0

I can't tell what's wrong without inspecting your plant so I'm not sure what to suggest. Could you be overwatering? If the soil is remaining too wet it can cause root rot or crown rot and that will cause the leaves to turn brown and die. Fungal diseases can cause the same symptoms. Since I can't tell for sure, here are some general guidelines for orchid care. See if your plant is getting the correct exposure to light, and the right amount of water: Orchids like a day temperature of about 70F during the summer and 60F during the winter, with a 10 degree drop at night. Cool nights are important to the health and flowering ability of your plant. Orchids require 10-15 hours of light each day, so you may need to supplement natural light with artificial light during the winter months when the days are short. Orchids like moist soil and appreciate being misted once or twice each day. To increase humidity around the plant, place the pot on a layer of rocks in a tray of water. As the water evaporates it will provide moist, humid conditions around your plant. Try adjusting the growing environment - I hope your orchid recovers.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"