Orchid buds Infestation - Knowledgebase Question

millbrae, Ca
Question by drmagsaysay
I have several indoor orchids. During the first budding stage, it is infested of aphids or whitish insects. Can I spray it with water or rub it with alcohol w/cinnamon to stop the infestation during the tender budding period? What is the best way to deal with this problem and to encourage the full stage of blooming flowers of the plant? Thank you.

0

Plain water is probably the best approach with your orchid. They are extremely sensitive to insecticides. Alcohol might really dry out the tissues so I would stay away from that, as well. You might want to dip a Q-Tip in Safer's Insecticidal Soap and dab the insects to kill them. Some orchid growers use a systemic called Merit as a soil drench to keep their orchids pest free. A systemic travels throughout the vascular system of the plant and kills insects when they puncture the tissues and try to feed. I've never used the product on my orchids so I'm not endorsing it, jsut sharing information that has come across my desk. I generally just rinse the insects off with plain water. Best wishes with your orchid.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"