watermelon help - Knowledgebase Question

west covina, Ca
Question by pricelesscaf
i know we have had weird weather in southern ca. but my watermelon plants seem to be drying out they are not a nice dark green are they lacking something? And why are my watermelons splitting i water them every other day..please help...

0

Fluctuating moisture conditions can cause your melons to to split and crack as they ripen. When the soil is dry and then becomes waterlogged, the melons absorb water quicker than the fruits' skins can expand, causing the splitting. The solution is to keep them well watered during drought conditions so that rains that follow won't cause the fruits' skin to expand dramatically. Regular waterings and mulching with two to three inches of organic mulch around the base of the plants will help keep the vines growing properly. If the leaves are pale your plants may need a dose of fertilizer. Try feeding them with a 5-10-10 or spreading compost over the soil. As the compost decomposes it will release nutrients into the soil. Hope these measures help!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"