japanese persimmion tree - Knowledgebase Question

stockton, Ca
Question by francinespe
the fruit is falling from my japanese persimmon tree. I give it a good watering once a week. Should it be watered less.

0

Your persimmon tree should be happy with one deep soaking per week during the growing season. I think the easiest way to water deeply is to make a watering basin or water well beneath the tree. Fill the basin, allow to drain, then fill it a second time. Watering in this way will concentrate the moisture over the root mass and allow it to trickle down, wetting the entire root mass. Once a week should do it, unless you have very sandy soil. Sandy soil drains very quickly and doesn't retain much moisture. You can water as described above, then wait 3-4 days and dig down into the soil. If it is still moist 2" below the surface, you won't need to water for a few more days; if it is dry, it's time to water. Fruit drop seems to be a common problem for persimmons in your region. It is brought on by high nitrogen fertilizer or uneven watering patterns. Some varieties are more prone to fruit drop when young, but they grow out of it with age.

Best wishes with your persimmon tree!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"