Hiding wasps - Knowledgebase Question

Monroe, Co
Question by trishd25
I see wasps or hornets flying out of my thick Henryi Clematis but I've looked and looked and cannot find the nest. Will a spray attack from the can kill my clematis. (I already was stung 3 times around this area.)

0

In defense of wasps, they're beneficial insects. They help pollinate flowers and they are great predators of other destructive garden pests. Wasps kill caterpillars and flies to feed to their young. Admittedly, wasps are no fun to contend with when you're trying to garden or picnic outdoors. Here's an easy way, or two, to eradicate wasps: If you cannot find a nest in your clematis plant, I suspect they are ground nesting hornets or wasps. To control them you just need to locate the entrance hole to their nest and then place a glass bowl over the top of the hole. Do this at night when the creatures are all at home and simply invert the bowl over the opening. In the daytime, when the wasps try to leave home, they'll be confused - and won't be able to exit. Wasps aren't smart enough to dig another exit hole so they'll buzz around the entrance and get stopped by the bowl. In about 10 days the colony will starve to death and you can remove the bowl. Then cover the hole up with soil, and your problem will be solved. An organic way to keep wasps from spoiling your time in the garden is to place some raw meat or fish in a mason jar and fashion a funnel out of paper to pop into the opening. Wasps will be attracted to the bait and will crawl into the jar, but won't be able to fly out. Leave them in the trap long enough and they'll die of thirst. Hope you'll reconsider using insecticides and grant your wasps a stay of execution - they really are good guys in the garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"