brown disease - Knowledgebase Question

Monroe, Co
Question by trishd25
I live in Ct and my Joe Pye Weed is so happy that I usually pull out what I don't want. This year they are turning brown from the bottom up. Is this a disease that the neighboring pholx and echinecea can catch? What should I do?

0

When the flowers are spent and have set seeds it's normal for the plants to dry up, usually from the lower leaves and moving up to the top of the plant. If yours have already flowered and are exhibiting these symptoms, I'd pull them up and remove them from the garden. It's possible the roots are rotting (insects, disease, soggy soil conditions). I know it will be a big loss but I'd still pull them up and remove them from the garden - just to make sure their problem doesn't spread to the other nearby plants. Wish I had a concrete answer for you about the plants but without being able to see them up close, it's almost impossible to diagnose. I'd just remove them from the garden this year and start all over with new plants next spring.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"