baptisia - Knowledgebase Question

Monroe, Co
Question by trishd25
I am zone 5 and I have my Baptisia in my full sun Southern exposure garden. It is so happy that it has sent off babies. I only have limited room so how big does it get and I know it does not like being moved but can I contain it somehow. It is beautiful and I do not want to harm it. i have a yellow and purple.

0

Baptisia (Wild Indigo) will grow 4 feet high and wide if they are happy. These shrub-like plants are generally rather slow growing and division is usually not needed for ten years or so. Because of deep taproots, transplanting is difficult but can be done successfully if you are careful, especially while plants are still small. I'd wait until this fall when the plants naturally lose their leaves and go into dormancy. At that time you can dig and divide the roots. By the following spring they will be all settled in and ready to grow. I don't think you can keep baptisia smaller than its normal mature size without compromising the flowering so plant yours in a garden area with lots and lots of elbow room. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"