Hostas - Knowledgebase Question

ROCKFORD, Il
Question by KORKYREALTOR
THE WEIRDEST THING HAS HAPPENED TO ABOUT HALF OF MY HOSTAS THIS YEAR. FIRST ON THE BLUE GIANTS THE LEAVES JUST TURN BROWN AND WHEN I GO TO CUT THEM, THEY FALL OFF ALL THE WAY TO THE ROOT. REGULAR HOSTAS LOOK LIKE BUGS HAVE EATEN ON THEIR LEAVES AND THEY JUST LIFT THEMSELVES OUT OF THE GROUND ROOT AND ALL. IS THIS A DISEASE OR BUGS?

0

Sounds like a crown rot disease or root rot. Either can be caused by poor drainage and/or overly wet soils. I'd be inclined to dig out the plants, amend the soil with compost or other organic matter to help it drain more quickly and to loosen the soil so the roots of the plants can penetrate deeply instead of pushing the plants up out of the ground. Before replanting your hostas be sure to cut away any dead or slimy roots and leaves. Good luck with your plants!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"