home depot-crape myrtle planting - Knowledgebase Question

Port Orange, Fl
Question by adorabletalk
I purchased gal container crape myrtle(not dwarf) and it has four (4) plants in it....so do I plant them all in one spot or do I separate them..I hate to bother you, but this is the third time writing question and I need to plant them.
Thanks
Juanita

0

If you've asked your question 3 times and have not gotten a response, I apologize! Sometimes our responses are blocked by email programs and sometimes they end up in your junk mail folder instead of your inbox. I hope this response makes it back to you! By nature, crape myrtles send up suckers and try to colonize an area. For shrubs, this is nice because this behavior keeps the planting nice and thick and dense. For trees, this suckering habit can be annoying if you want a single trunked tree. Since your crape myrtles are young you may be able to separate each stem and successfully grow them as single plants. You won't be able to tell if all four are growning from a single root mass or if each has its own roots attached. You can check by unpotting the plant, removing the excess potting soil and then swishing the rootmass in a bucket of water. The water will help untangle the roots and you should be able to determine just where they originate. If you can separate the root mass so that each division has both roots and a stem attached, you can plant each division in your garden. If it doesn't look as though you can separate them, you'll need to plant them as a group. Best wishes with your crape myrtle.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"