circular holes or cuttings on my rose leaves - Knowledgebase Question

stafford, Te
Question by malatiu
My rose leaves are having very round circular cutting. I don't see any insects around that area. I saw some black snugs. Please give me your advice and I really need it fast. My garden is very clean and has no dries leaves around all my plants and they are very well groomed and nicely mulched.
Thanks
malathi

0

The half-moon holes in the leaves are made by cutter bees. They don't eat the leaf, instead they use them to line their nests. When their nests are finished, they won't cut any more leaf parts. They are difficult if not impossible to control because they fly in and out so fast, and bees are very beneficial in the garden so you probably wouldn't want to control them anyway. They prey on other insects and they help pollinate flowers. The damage they do to the leaves is more asthetic than anything else. If you'll notice, they only take half of the leaf when they harvest; the remainder of the leaf is enough for your rose to maintain good health. In time those leaves with the circular holes will be pruned off and your rose will be restored to perfection once again. Just consider it a small price to pay to have bees in your garden.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"