Cannas no more - Knowledgebase Question

Conyers, Ge
Question by jimbo45941
I've had canna lillies that returned - with a vengence - every year. I gave several to family in another part of the state (north GA) & they, too returned for several years. This year, NONE of them returned! Not that it's a bad thing, just curious - why would both sets not return, the same year?

0

Since they were plants from the same batch we can rule out environmental conditions, which leaves us with a question about diseases. Erwinia soft rot, a bacterial disease which often becomes established in the root tissues and is one of the more aggressive fungal pathogens, comes to mind. It may be that your planting of canna lilies was infected and the disease caused root rot in both the old and the new plantings, which prevented either group from growing this year. I'd be curious enough to dig the plants and check the root systems. Good luck with your garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"