How to heat up compost in tumbler? - Knowledgebase Question

Massapequa Park, Ne
Question by ndpettit46
I know the answer must be out there, but all my searches came up

0

Sounds like you're doing everything right with your compost. The right ratio of green and brown, adequate moisture (should feel like a wrung out sponge when you grab a handful) and frequent aeration should keep it cooking. It should get hot if there are micro-organisms busy breaking down the materials. (but you might not necessarily see steam in the summer months) You can add a shovelful of garden soil to introduce beneficial micro-organisms. Give it about a week and see if that doesn't make a difference. If not, add a handful of nitrogen fertilizer. I prefer the garden soil over the nitrogen fertilizer. The fertilizer will heat the pile up, but it doesn't contain the bacteria and other critters that are naturally present in healthy garden soil. Give it a try and let us know how it works. Best wishes with your compost!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"