Lupine leaves drying up - Knowledgebase Question

Redmond, Wa
Question by sheetalkamat
Hi I planted lupine in a large container and after few days i notice that the leaves are drying at higher rate. I water the plant daily to keep the soil moist. Its kept in patio corner so that it can get sun. Should i move it to shade instead? My patio gets sun in the evening as its west facing.

0

I think you may be watering too much. Lupines need excellent drainage and while the potting soil you filled your container with will drain well, daily watering might be excessive. The goal is to allow the top half inch of soil to dry out between waterings. I just pick up the pots and if they are lightweight, it's time to water. If they are still relatively heavy, you can hold off on watering for another day or two. Since the roots are at the bottom of the container, even if the top of the soil feels dry, the roots may be sitting in soggy soil. Wet soils drive out oxygen which roots need or they will suffocate. Try adjusting the watering and I think you'll see an improvement the your lupine. Hope it's soon! By the way, don't move your lupine into a shady area. They thrive in full sunshine.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"