Goop on Peaches - Knowledgebase Question

Oklahoma City, Ok
Question by egreen0628
I have two peach trees in my backyard. The larger one has produced quite a few peaches this year, but many of the peaches have a problem. They have black goop that will attach to anything near it, including a branch, or are only attached to the peach itself. I do not want to use pesticides on it, unless they are organic. Please advise.

0

The fruit have been attacked by a stink or leaf footed bug of some type. The sap is oozing from the point where their mouthparts penetrated the fruit. Unfortunately, once you see the symptoms it is too late to do anything. The only way to prevent such damage is to spray insectides on 7 to 10 day intervals. If the peaches stay on the tree they will ripen, they will simply be misshapen. Good luck with your peach tree.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"