Avacados - Knowledgebase Question

Lancaster, Te
Question by ogunclebuddy
my wife started an avacado in our kitchen. Now it has rooted and a stem has grown from the top. How do I keep it growing? Should I start it inside and as it grows move it outside? what kind of soil and sun do I need?

0

You can plant it in some moistened potting soil now that it has developed a root system. Gradually wean it off of so much water by first keeping the potting soil very moist and then allowing it to dry slightly between waterings. Once it has settled in it won't need quite so much water. When the stem grows to about 12", pinch out the growing tip to encourage branching. This will result in a bushy and full plant. Feed every 3-4 weeks with a half strength dilution of liquid fertilzer (such as Miracle Gro or Peter's formulated for houseplants). Put the container in a brightly lit location but out of direct sunlight. It can stay indoors and grow as a houseplant its first year. Next spring take it outdoors and put it in a bright spot but out of direct sunlight. Then gradually move it into a few hours of morning sun. Continue moving it into more and more sunshine over a 2 week period until it is growing in all day sunshine. Once it is accustomed to lots of sun you can plant it in the ground. Avocado trees prefer full sunshine and regular watering. It will grow 5-7 years before it flowers and sets fruit for you. Best wishes with your new avocado tree!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"