Hydrangea/Lilly of the valley - Knowledgebase Question

highland, Ca
Question by mfarrell3850
I have a shaded hydrangea macrophylla,the flower pedals are turning a tan color of brown. The flower head is still in tact and is not wilting. I see new flowers heads coming in the color of pink. The leaves do not show any signs of diseases. Does this mean it's the end of the life of the bloom, it's only been 1-2 mths.
Also lily of the valley do I cut the dead flowers heads off at the root?

0

As the flowers on your hydrangea age they will turn a tannish color. You can leave them on the plant or you can cut them off, along with some of the stem and set them in a vase of water. Allow the water to evaporate and by the time it does, the flower will be dry and you can use it in dried flower arrangements. Or, you can simply prune off the flower and toss it. I'm glad your plant is producing more flowers for you to enjoy. It isn't necessary to cut away the dead flowers on your Lily of the Valley but you can if you find them unattractive. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"