Why no veg. on my plants? - Knowledgebase Question

phoenix, Ar
Question by maryminnick
I've had a veg. garden 16 yrs. in Az.(Mesa/Gilbert) overwhelmed with produce. I've planted same time , same plants, watered the same. Same hot sun. And as always beautiful plants, bud, and flowers. Onions were great, radishs, cilantro, All ok. But the peppers, red, yellow, green, and jalepino, beef stk, big boy, nothing. Well 2 tomatoes and 4 green peppers. I live at 43rd and Camelback, what?

0

I know it seems odd but when the heat arrives tomato and pepper plants can be reluctant to flower, and when they do open those flowers the heat can render the pollen sterile. Eventually the plants can overcome this and once that first fruit sets and begins to grow, the plant typically develops lots and lots more fruit. As long as the plants look healthy and are otherwise growing well, there's not much you can do except wait it out. When the nighttime temperatures cool down a bit, your plants should flower abundantly and develop fruits. The nice thing is that they will continue to grow and produce fruits until November or December so eventually you'll have a nice harvest. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"