Bearded iris blooming question - Knowledgebase Question

Staten Island, Ne
Question by mlyledavis
I have 6 very tall pink bearded iris. What is their blooming habit? They bloomed several years but didn't bloom this spring. I'm going to move them in late August. What is minimum sun and soil suggested to ensure blooming?
When used in your archive,how many hours is half-day full sun? Thanks in advance.

0

When irises are overcrowded they have to compete for water and nutrients which can keep them from blooming. Lack of sufficient sunshine will also keep them from blooming well. I'm glad you're going to dig and transplant them in late August. They prefer 8 hours of direct sun but will bloom with a minimum of 4 hours of sunshine. Afternoon sun is best for irisies because it is more intense than morning sun. In general, half day sun equates to 4 hours of sunshine. Best wishes with your irises.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"