Peach Tree Ripening - Knowledgebase Question

Clayton, No
Question by jessmarroyo
Hi,

I have a semi-dwarf Red Haven peach tree. It bloomed beautifully in the spring, and has dozens of small peaches on it, in spite of the fact that it is very young. However, the peaches seem to be growing very slowly, and are still very small after three months of growing. Is this normal?

0

It's probably normal for your tree because it is young. It may not develop those peaches to maturity but you have to give it credit for trying. I usually thin out the peaches in June, removing about every third one. Remaining fruits grow larger and sweeter because there's less competition for moisture and nutrients. Just FYI, a peach tree needs about 40 leaves per fruit in order to maintain good health and still have the energy to ripen the fruit. At this point I'd just continue to give the tree good care. If it ripens the fruit, you'll get a bonus. If it drops the fruit, it's natural behavior at this stage in its life. Next year it should be capable of producing some fruit. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"