Hosta sun tolerance - Knowledgebase Question

Staten Island, Ne
Question by mlyledavis
I have many varieties of hosta including 2 with very large leaves (1 dark green and 1 very light colored). They all are doing well in mostly shady areas.
Plan to move 4 (including the 2 very large type noted above, to an area with 3 hours of full mid-day sun (1:30-4:30 PM).
Generally, for those least tolerant of sun, what is the minimum amount of mid-day full sun they can do well in?
Thanks.

0

In general, Hostas with yellow leaves or fragrant flowers can stand more sun than Hostas with green, blue or white leaves. I think the only way to tell how sun tolerant a plant might be is to plant it where you want and then watch to see how it reacts. A Hosta is getting too much sun if the leaf color fades or leaves develop spots, or if the margins of the leaves begin to turn brown. If you observe these symptoms, move your plants to a shadier spot in your garden.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"