apple tree size - Knowledgebase Question

Minneapolis, Mi
Question by desifern
I purchased a Honeycrisp apple tree from my local home depot 2 years ago- currently, it's about 9'tall. On the tag that came with the tree, it doesn't say whether it's a standard size or semi-dwarf; it only states;

0

Twenty feet tall and wide is about average for a standard sized apple tree. Standard trees can eventually reach a much larger size but it takes decades and will only do so if you do not prune it at all. Of course growing conditions (weather, soil, cultural care) will also dictate just how large a tree can grow. You can prune your Honeycrisp tree to keep it smaller, but I wouldn't reduce the size much more than about 15' tall and wide or you will sacrifice fruiting. Semi-dwarf trees usually max out at about 10-12' in height and width; dwarf trees can be maintained at about 8'. Hope this answers your question.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"