day lillies - Knowledgebase Question

kalamazoo, MI
Question by dfgquilter
My daylillies don't seem to be increasing very fast.
1. What kind of soil mixture do they like?
2. What fertilizer should I put on and how often?
3. On the spent ones, they have long brown leaves now.
Can I cut them off to about 8 inches to make them more neat?
Thanks, Dorian

0

Daylilies take about a year to establish in the garden. The second year they bloom well and by the third year they begin to expand. They will grow in average soil and appreciate a deep soaking every 3-4 days during the summer months. You can feed with a general purpose 10-10-10 fertilizer each spring. When the flowers fade you can pull them off the plant. When the flowering stem stops producing flowers you can prune it down to foliage level. New flowering stems will appear throughout the summer months. You can remove any brown foliage but don't cut the leaves down to make them look neater. As long as the leaves are green they are manufacturing and transporting carbohydrates back to the roots of the plants. The more energy they receive from the leaves the larger and stronger the root system grows, which will result in larger plants and more flowers the following year. Best wishes with your daylilies.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Aster and Sedum"