delphiniums and roses - Knowledgebase Question

burke, Vi
Question by sherryhawkin
how do i grow delphiniums in northern va. seems like it may be too hot. also bought some knock out roses from you guys, and tho the foliage looks great, not many blossoms. what to do?

0

You can grow delphiniums in a shady spot in Virginia. They grow best in the early months of spring and then tend to die down when the weather gets hot. I plant mine as soon as they are available in the nurseries in the early spring. They perform best with only an hour or two of morning sunshine and shade for the rest of the day. Plant in well draining soil and water as you would your other perennial plants. After the flowers are spent cut the entire flowering stalk down to foliage level. Two new flower stalks will grow. They will be smaller than the first but will produce a second flush of bloom. When these flowers are spent cut the flower stalks down to foliage level. The leaves will remain green until the weather gets hot and then will die down. Next spring you'll see new growth.

Knock Out Roses typically bloom lots in the spring and lots in the fall but only sporadically when the weather is hot. I'm sure yours will continue to develop a few blossoms throughout the summer months but blooming will pick up when the weather cools down.

Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"