Night blooming jasmine - Knowledgebase Question

costa mesa, Ca
Question by varleyjohn
A while back you told me about Daconil for a blight on my fuchia flowers. Works great, available at Home Depot. Next question. How can I get night blooming Jasmine to bloom when I want them too? Here in Costa Mesa, they bloom when they want anytime 12 months of the year. Thanks

0

Glad we were able to help with your fuchsias. Cestrum nocturnum, or night blooming jasmine, is considered a long-short day plant. It responds to day length (photoperiod) and sets flower buds according to the length of the hours of darkness it receives. Night blooming jasmine develops flower buds when it experiences 5 long days followed by 2 short days. The plants have specific growth hormones that are triggered when the photoperiod requirement is met. You can manipulate the number of hours of light and dark your plant receives if you grow it in a greenhouse but since it's growing outdoors there's not much you can do to trigger flower bud initiation. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"